Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Finger Food Frustration


I thought introducing finger foods was going to be easy, especially for my little guy who has never been shy packing on the pounds. I started with puffs at 8 and half months and he seemed to be doing really well. He was able to pick them up and feed himself, no problem. Then at his 9 month check-up I got a list of foods I could start him on.

I went to the store right away and got a few items he could try, cheerios, cottage cheese, yo baby yogurt, grated cheese and rotisserie chicken, to name a few. When we got home I put him in his high chair and decided to try a few cheerios. He picked them up great but once they got in his mouth he would gum them and then make himself gag and throw up.

He loves grated cheese but it mostly ends up in his lap, same goes for the chicken. It took three introductions for him to finally like yogurt. As for the cottage cheese, no way no how. I'm discovering he's really picky about texture. He loves avocado but won't touch it with his fingers, same goes with cooked potatoes, carrots and peeled grapes. So I have to feed him that stuff if I want him to eat it. *eye roll*

Every meal time I start out with finger foods and finish with baby food, but by the time I get to the baby food he will only eat one jar and then he's done. I know he's not getting enough calories during the day because he's waking up for a bottle during the night again.

Hopefully he'll get the hang of this soon. I'm really looking forward to the day I can just sit him down, put food in front of him and he eats it with no problems. Is this a normal baby thing?

Post Edit
I should note that I drafted this post a couple days ago and already I have seen improvement. I guess my lack of patience got the best of me.


No comments: