Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sisters, Sisters

Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister!


Kiel and I were getting ready to drive up for Brittany's wedding (Kiel's sister) and I got a text from my sister: Hey girl results came back I have lymphoma (Hodgkin) call mom. I will know more next Friday when they do a core biopsy ;).

First, who delivers that type of news through a text message, that's like breaking up with someone via text (guilty) you just don't do that! Secondly, who puts a smiley wink face at the end of a message like that? I have lymphoma, wink wink!?! Thirdly, I discovered 5 seconds later, she sent it as a MASS text, so all of a sudden my phone is getting calls from all of our mutual friends asking me, "who in their right mind would send a text like that?" Lastly, after sending that text, she doesn't answer her phone because she didn't feel like talking about it. Ok, I could understand that, but to send out a text and then not expect phone calls? She's crazy, crazy, crazy!

Beth calls me, "Frannie just sent me the worst text ever! What the crap!?!" (I would like to say she only uses "crap" in a high emotional state but she uses it all the time.)

"I know" I say

"At first I was mad that the news was delivered that way, but it only took me 10 minutes to burst into tears"

"I know, I wanted to cry too, but I know everything will be okay" I really didn't, but when I read the "beloved" text, Kiel walked up behind me and read it over my shoulder. Something about him just calms me. I was comforted by his presence and no longer felt the need to cry.

Next I talked to my mom. "Mom have you talked to Fran?"

"Yes and I just googled it"

"Googled what?"

"Lymphoma, the cancer your sister has"

"Seriously? Your daughter texts you that she has cancer and you google?" She didn't hear my sarcastic question because she was telling me everything she found out on Google.

"... if it's in stage 1 or 2 she has about a 78% chance of surviving and from her symptoms I think she's only in stage 1 or 2. Don't worry honey everything will be alright" she finished.

"I'm sorry, I just can't get passed the fact that you googled? Who does that? And who sends out a text like that? Why is my family so weird?"

"It's not the first thing I did Melissa, I've already talked to your sister weeks ago. She doesn't want to talk on the phone and answer immediate questions that's all! And according to google, everything will be fine," she finished.

Okay that made me feel better. I think? Thanks google!

Frannie pants has cancer. My best friend, confidant, my left arm, my decision maker, the one who consoled my woes, the person I talk to at least 6 times a day (seriously, well before I was married). She knew I was getting engaged, what the ring looked like, the proposal plan, all of it before I did. She jumped right in and practically planned the whole wedding, making sure it was exactly what I wanted. We were roommates in our early 20's and bought a dog together (well, she bought the tail, (family joke)). When we were younger we were inseparable, I was always getting into trouble and she was my voice of reason. She looked up to me and I to her. Life wasn't always perfect, but she was always the perfect person I could go to in any given situation, and still is. If you have a social awkward moment, call Fran and she will smooth things over immediately. If you need someone to listen to your woes, call her. Do you have an amazing idea that you know no one will support? Just call Fran, she will. Do you need fun ideas for little kid birthday parties or favors? Or do you want to make a quilt and learn how to crochet a bikini? Do you want to feel like a million bucks? Just call Fran. Do you need to break up with a boyfriend? Call her, she'll do it and she'll make him feel like a million bucks even though he's getting dumped by his girlfriend's sister. The only thing I suggest you don't call her for is if you want an unbiased opinion, even if it will hurt your feelings, that's what you call me for! Frannie wouldn't dare hurt any one's feelings, it's just not in her. I remember stepping on a roly poly (on purpose) and she wanted to have a funeral. That's just how sweet and sensitive she is to all of God's creatures.

So at Brittany's reception Frannie let Kiel and me feel her cancerous lump. "It's right there" she said as she guided my fingers on her shoulder to the tumor. "Feel it?"

"Gross" I said as I felt it squiggle in between my fingers and her shoulder blade. I wanted to pinch it really hard and make the sucker suffer for invading my sister's body. But I reserved, Lucy (that's what we've named her) would get hers in due time. I was certain.

The past three weeks have consisted of biopsy's, waiting and lots of prayers. Which paid off because yesterday in true Fran fashion we all received a mass text that said:

"PRAYER WORKS;) test results are exactly what we hoped for the cancer has not spread it is small and contained inside the lymphoid. Will be removed quickly & with minimal risk. Will only need the smallest of radiation the mass underneath is fluid that will be drained out. Chance of it ever returning or metastasizing is so small that afterwards I will virtually have no worries or problems. Worst part of it is I will have a 1/2 inch scar :( Basically I'm kicking ass & taking names ;)

She still has to go through a small operation and a little bit of radiation, but we feel so blessed to have caught the cancer so early that it hasn't spread and caused major problems. If you want to know more about Frannie click here.
...Sisters, sisters there were never such devoted sisters...

2 comments:

lisa c. said...

Melissa, I am so glad to hear that Fran will be okay. I wish I would have known sooner. I'm resolving to be a better sister in law:) I really am so happy to hear the good news.

Sunni said...

Well said Melissa. One of your more beautiful blogs- very proud of your writing skills and your ability to let your sincerity shine through for your sis.. Yay for the death of Lucy lymphoma - she sucks.

Your loyal reader and ever entertained friend,

Sunni :)