Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Weekend @ Disneyland

This weekend was anything but relaxing. This year I committed to taking my nieces and nephew to Disneyland for their birthdays. I figured next year I'll be growing my own little prodigy and this would probably be the last year for me to spoil them. If I want to keep my title of "Favorite Aunt" I gotta go out with a bang, thus Disneyland becomes my accomplice.

The night before we kicked Kiel to the couch so Sebastyan aka Bubba could sleep in the bed with me. That wasn't the original plan but the little guy was too scared to sleep on the couch by himself. That should have been my first clue that the haunted mansion and Matterhorn would be traumatic experiences for him.

The next morning after breakfast and cartoons, we got ready to go to "The Happiest Place on Earth" or so they call it. There were a few moments throughout the day I would disagree but all in all it was a fun time.

Highlights

After a couple rides we were all hungry and decided to go somewhere that did dining so we could sit at a table and eat. There was a small wait so Bubba decided to mosey over to the toy station that was right outside the restaurant. I followed quickly behind and even though I told him in the beginning we would get him a souvenir when we're ready to leave the park, I caved and bought him a mickey mouse flash light that spins a rainbow of colors. Now I realize the cardinal rule of parenting is to "hold your ground" but I'm so glad I didn't and so is Kiel, read on Haunted House to get the full story.

Haunted House

So after lunch Bub wanted to go on the boats that he saw while we were eating. On our way there I noticed the haunted house had a short line and asked him if he wanted to go through the haunted house on our way to the boats, he said yes and so we went. All of us entered the dark room and Bub turned on his spinning flash light (in picture above) so we didn't have to stand in the dark. Bub kept his spinning flashlight on the WHOLE entire time we were in the dark room. People might have been irritated but Kiel and I wouldn't dare try and take that away from him. When the scary voice started and the room started moving Bub lost it. He hugged us both tight and then started crying. "I want to get off this ride" he yelled. I picked him up and told him the only way out is, unfortunately through the house but luckily he has his magic light that keeps the goblins away. He calmed down when we got onto the carriage but didn't dare turn off his light. Kiel and I cringed whenever we heard an adult scream and hoped it wouldn't make the poor kid tear up again. Fortunately, it didn't and at the end of the ride he asked us if we could go again. I simply replied, "Sure, next year!"

Celebrate Parade





It's a Small World



The Matter Horn


This ride comes with a story. After the Haunted House we went on the Mark Twain boat ride, then made our way to Splash Mountain but that was broken and then walked to Thunder Mountain (Kiel's fav. ride when he was little) and that was broken, or having "operational issues" as they would correct when I asked "is this broken too?"and so we marched on to Fantasy Land and rode Dumbo that was working great as Sebastyan repeatedly made him go up and down, up and down and up again. Right next to Dumbo was a Whale ride that Sebastyan pointed out while flying Dumbo "Auntie I want to go on that next" I said okay and we headed that direction when we got off of Dumbo. On our way we got distracted on the Tea Cups and then they closed the Whale ride down for the "Celebrate Parade." So I told Sebastyan we would go on the "Whale Ride" after we watched the parade which was alright to him and on we went. The parade happened to be right in front of "It's a small world" so we watched the parade and then took advantage of the extremely short line and went on "It's a Small World" which we all enjoyed. After getting off the ride Sebastyan yelled, "now it's time for the whale ride" but by the time we got there the line was 40 minutes long. Sebastyan agreed that was too long to wait and decided to go on the Caterpillar ride, but again that line was 40 minutes and both Kiel and I did not want to wait that long for the "kiddie" rides and decided to try to find a big roller coaster that wasn't broken. The Matter horn said you only needed to be 36" tall so we thought this ride would be gentle enough for a 6yr old boy and decided to hop in that line. The line moved fast while I went to get food for the boy. I caught up with them near the front of the line and Sebastyan was not a happy Disney boy. I figured it was nothing food couldn't solve and started feeding him chicken fingers. He brightened up a little bit but got more and more mopey the more we moved up in the line. I told Kiel, I think he's done for the day and Kiel agreed that after this ride we should probably go. Still not putting two and two together we continued to inch forward as the line moved. Quicker than Sebastyan wanted it, I'm sure, it was our turn to ride the "Matter Horn." Lucky for us we got the very first cart, woo hoo, I thought, this can't be good. Sebastyan and Kiel rode up front and I sat behind them. Sebastyan started crying as we buckled him in and off we went. He cried the entire time for his Mommy and Daddy and repeatedly yelled "I don't like this ride, I don't like this ride." For some reason this ride was a lot darker and faster than I remembered and how the heck did I forget about the abominable snow man? Feeling horrible, we went to a bench after the ride was over and let the little guy re-coop and finish his meal. That was all he needed and then he yelled "The whale ride," Kiel and I both agreed that even if the line was 2 hours long we were going on that ride, but then it was time for the fire work show and the "Whale Ride" was closed. Oh crap, I thought, I hope this boy likes fire works. We got an awesome spot to watch the fire works and after the show we finally got on the Whale ride aka Storybook Land!

Goodbye Disney



After a few more rides it was time to go. On the way out of the park I realized I left my camera on a ride and had to go back to get it. Kiel stayed with Sebastyan and by the time I got back he was passed out. He didn't wake up until the next morning. I miss those days.

Sebastyan took this picture

Sunday

Kiel is the new Young Men's President! Woo Hoo, he was set apart this Sunday and will now take on all the responsibilities his calling has to offer. Sebastyan did good in church but was ready to go before it was over. After church we all watched a movie and then I took the little guy to the beach aka our backyard. He was fearless as he dove into the waves. Go figure! Then we took him home and we came back to our TRASHED apartment. Sheesh, looks like Kiel will be cleaning up before dinner with the missionaries on Monday.

3 comments:

Keri said...

Holy crap! I'm tired just READING that! You made Lil' Jimmy's day, though. Go Auntie Lissa!

Debbie Clark said...

sounds like a terrific weekend the Bub will remember forever. Does the matterhorn still have that part of the ride that goes over people walking down below? that's where I threw up when I was Bubs age. Don't think Ive been on the matterhorn since. The people down below weren't impressed either.

lisa c. said...

Kiel told me the story on Saturday and I was laughing so hard. You're an awesome aunt! what a great birthday for each lucky niece and nephew!