Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Final Stretch

Yesterday, marked the start of my third trimester and the panic that it is all coming to an end or a beginning depending on how you look at it. Either way I or should I say we? No, it's I (Kiel is cool as a cucumber, like always, except the night he proposed or the day we were sealed for eternity) am not prepared for the end or the beginning. So for the next 3 months I will be doing just that, preparing.

I thought classes would help ease the anxiety but they just remind me of all the things I am not yet prepared for and overwhelm me with 50 handouts to read. However; I recommend the breastfeeding class to all new parents and those who are interested I think it will end up being a great help once the beginning is here or is it the end?

Last night I asked Kiel if he would get an epidural if he knew he was going to be tased for 14 hours straight and he simply replied "you aren't in labor for 14 hours straight, you get breaks." Which means he really didn't answer my question and thinks tasing hurts worse than labor...does it? (Because that would give me hope.)

Today, I have a list of things to do and was motivated to do them until I sat on the couch to eat and peruse blogs. Now I don't want to get up. A sign that my 2nd trimester energy is fading and my 1st trimester fatigue is revisiting...sigh.

They say the time will come when you can't wait to get the baby out of you but is it not obvious that time is not yet here for me? (That was a weird way of structuring a sentence.) On a walk or was it a drive? I told Kiel, I wouldn't mind having the baby in my womb for 18 years and then one day he pops out and says "thanks for the warm nest, peace out" But then again, I wouldn't like that either.

Tuesday, we will see our baby via ultra sound and we can't wait. I, like most mothers love ultra sounds. This time he might be awake and we will get to see him move. I always wonder if it's his hand, elbow or foot that he is poking me with.

Anyway, that's enough randomness for one day.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Lisa Renee said...

Ive had two with no epidurals and one with. Im a fan of the pain relief! It really does help you enjoy the whole experience more and yes you ARE in labor for 14hrs or MORE like me! How about 22hrs! Having contractions less than a minute apart 90% of that time isnt what I would call breaks...lol. You will know when the time comes if you want the pain relief and you will one day be ready for you little one to JUST GET OUT ALREADY, unless you are one of the lucky ones and he actually comes early or on time :) And you will be a great parent. It will all just come together, I promise.

Brigitte said...

You'll do great Melissa!

In my opinion, get an epidural if you can for your first one. If you're one of those women who's just got to try the no pain relief thing, I recommend trying that some other time haha. I had an epidural and it was so easy. I was talking and chatting away with the doc and Tyler while pushing. Pushed for 45 minutes. It flew by. (I was in labor for 7 hours before that). Personally, I just think it's better to have as nice an experience as possible the first time around. :)

Rushell said...

I had 1 with an epidural and 2 without. I would probably do it without again. With that said... I have a very high pain tollerance, however I will tell you it was the worst, most awful, excruciating pain I have ever, EVER experienced in my entire life. What I did like was that I could actually feel the baby coming without being told, and once they are out you experience total relief. I also found that my recovery was a lot faster and better without having the epidural.

When the time comes you will do what is best for you. If the pain is to much don't be scared to get the epidural. If you are in labor for a long time sometimes it is the best way to go just so you can get some rest before it is time to push. The best nap, to this day, that I ever took was after I got my epidural with Tyler.