Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

Merry Christensen


Way back when I first became an aunt at age 13 I learned all about pregnancy and how hard it could be on the woman's body. At that age I was skittish around bellies, especially those that had movement in them. To me pregnancy resembled an alien abduction or at least how I imagined an alien abduction would happen. Let's just say I had quite the imagination and watched too many movies.


As I got older, more nephews and nieces were born and I observed all of those pregnancies as well. I developed my own theories and one that always rang true was:


Easy pregnancy = Girl

Hard pukey pregnancy = Boy


Based on that theory I guessed right every time. I should have bet money, I would have raked in the dough, oh well, I'll call it a loss in economic opportunity ;)


My pregnancy (we're talking about me now, after all it is my blog) has been nothing to complain about. Sure, I've had my rare pukey moments and days where I felt like I was living on a ship anchored in the ocean but over all I've felt great.


Great = Girl


I was sure we were having a girl until my first real ultra sound (the 6 wk one doesn't count). I saw our baby at 12 weeks and it was lying in my belly sleeping on its back. Nothing could disturb it. The doctor was trying to get a measurement but the baby would not move. So the doctor poked and prodded some more until the little baby bounced up one time and turned to it's side, back facing us and went back to snoozing away. At that moment I thought, is my husband inside of there? It was a precious moment only a mother and father could find precious. (After all, let's face it at that stage they're pretty lumpy and my kid had two lumps on top of it's head that resembled horns, I swear.)


After that moment I was on the fence; well it's possible to be a boy, the Chinese calendar says it's a boy and Kiel really wants a boy.


And so we waited six more long weeks.


Today was the big day. Kiel came with me and we both waited patiently, since we were patients (bad joke) in the doctors office. Finally Dr. Naylor came in and put that warm gel on my belly and started poking around. We first saw the top of the head and checked out the brain, he then moved to the belly and the face. We saw a hand by it's mouth and then we checked out the umbilical cord along with the kidneys. "Everything looks great" Dr. Naylor reassured. "Now do you want to see what you're having?" Before I could answer Kiel piped in a fast "yes!" So the doc scooted down by the legs and measured the femur, and added "this is the strongest bone in the human body." Who cares just show us the good stuff I thought. Then he took a picture of it's feet, "oh what cute little baby feet" he continued and "it has all 10 toes." Woo hoo, I thought, move along. And so he went up between the legs and Kiel and I both looked and thought we saw something in between. "Girls don't have that, do they?" I stated/asked.


"Nope, they sure don't" Dr. Naylor said.


And that's when Kiel jumped out of his chair and yelled "I knew it!"


So there you have it baby Christensen #1 is a boy and we are more than overjoyed/thrilled/excited/(enter synonym here)!


Merry Christmas, a very merry Christmas!


And Kiel says "see, prayers do work!" well, we all knew that anyway:)


So my point (yep, I have one): My theory is wrong~ we're having a boy!


The end!

Update!!!

My theory has proven right for all of my nieces and nephews, it just didn't work on me because, and this is just a theory, I'm sorta manly (you'll notice when you look at my feet).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your baby boy in the making! By the way, I had a horrible pukey nasty pregnancy with my first and she's a girl! Then I had a pretty darn good pregnancy with the second and she's a girl too. Guess they're all just gonna do whatever they're gonna do to you! :)

Erica Bingham said...

Must have clicked the wrong thing...I'm not anonymous! :D

Brittany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany said...

I knew it was a boy when Kiel called me. "How do you know?" Kiel said. "Because you're so stinkin' excited!" lol

lisa c. said...

Awesome! Thanks for calling me yesterday! Yay for nephew christensen!

Rushell said...

WooHoo! BOYS ARE THE BEST!!! Congrats!

Team Hansen said...

Congrats! Boys are so fun! Men always want a boy, so at least you got that out of the way first!

Lisa Renee said...

So do we have a name?

The Jorgensen's said...

Oh congrats! Boys are great and have a special spot in a mother's heart.