Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I haven't done one of these in awhile...


My sister threw me a bridal shower at Skipolini's pizza. I wanted it to be small and intimate, opposite of what will take place on the big day. Twenty of my closest friends and family all sat around a long table, stuffing their faces with skip dip, salad and pizza. At one moment I could hardly hear myself talk amongst the loud chatters that surrounded me; I loved that moment. I have always enjoyed celebrations and gatherings with friends. I might have gotten it from my mother who always made sure our birthdays were celebrated just the way we wanted it. As a single mother it wasn't easy to patrol slumber parties as big as 20 girls, but she insisted that we invite all girls from our class so none felt left out.

Now that I have had minimal experience with entertaining, I realize how much work it is, but the fun makes it worth it. My favorite has always been themed get together's...so much fun. I also enjoy the Christmas dinners at Grandma and Grandpa Lockharts that consist of great stories that seducingly (not a word but I don't care) make you sit at the dining table hours after dinner is served.

Soon I will be having one of the biggest celebrations of my life. My number one hope for that evening is that everyone has a great time! I want the dance floor to be packed, the noise to be overwhelmingly loud and the laughter to ring in my ears. I also wish it to be a memorable moment for my dad, as he is leaving on May 2nd for Iraq and will be gone for a whole year. I will be the last daughter he celebrates a wedding for. Oh, the joys and woes of growing up!

May we all live life like a giant celebration and be thankful for all that accompany us during it!

xoxo,
Melissa

No comments: